Technical Writer (10098)
At SKAO, we’re coordinating a global effort to deliver the largest science facility on the planet. The SKA will be a next-generation radio telescope that will help to answer key questions in astrophysics, drive technological innovation and support human capital development.
More than a dozen partner countries and over a thousand scientists and engineers around the world are already on board, making the SKA an international collaboration like no other, and one of the most ambitious science and engineering endeavours of the 21st century.
Headquartered in the UK, with telescope sites in Australia and South Africa, it will be one observatory, operating two telescopes, an endeavour spanning three continents. Multinational by design, SKAO will soon join only a handful of other science infrastructures in becoming an intergovernmental organisation.
Our Global HQ is located near the buzzing city of Manchester at the historic Jodrell Bank Observatory, a UNESCO World Heritage site located in the Cheshire countryside. It is home to a rapidly expanding international team of more than a hundred, working in a highly collaborative and inclusive way, in coordination with SKA teams in Australia & South Africa and as part of a global astronomy and engineering community.
Being part of Team SKA means contributing to something extraordinary: a uniquely exciting project to advance human knowledge that will last decades. In return, we offer a diverse multicultural working environment, 30 days annual leave plus public holidays, a generous pension scheme, regular social events, a family-friendly environment and much more. Come and join us
An ideal role for an experienced technical writer in the field of electronic documentation who is interested in working for a complex international engineering project.
The Technical Writer is responsible for the development and maintenance of interactive electronic technical publications for SKA including operational, maintenance and safety procedures.
The Technical Writer is a member of the Engineering Operations Group which is responsible for the engineering Operations of both telescopes. The Technical Writer will play a leading role in specifying format and contents to be provided by the contractors during construction. The person in this role will further develop the information obtained and integrate the data into a Common Source Database (CSDB) which forms the basis for the publication of operating and maintenance procedures. This role will report to the RAM/Logistics Systems Engineer and will be based in the SKA Global Headquarters located at Jodrell Bank in the UK.
Key Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Duties
- Responsible for the development of the contractor data requirements (Data Module Requirements List - DMRL);
- Formatting of technical information into data modules for re-use;
- The development, authoring and editing of additional data modules;
- Integrate the Data Modules into a Common Source Database (CSDB);
- Review and Approve the Data Modules;
- Publishing and distribution of the technical documentation and publications.
Mandatory Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- University degree, diploma or equivalent qualification or experience, in authoring or another related and relevant field;
- Authoring experience (typically more than 10 years) in engineering research and development projects, in radio astronomy, astronomy, telecommunications or defence, or a broad electronic technical publication knowledge;
- Knowledge of the engineering of high technology systems, such as large observatories, space systems, telecommunications networks, nuclear power plants;
- Experience in electronic technical documentation projects with ability to work effectively with engineers and scientists from a variety of cultures;
- Experience of ASD S1000D specification and or DITA technical authoring; including Common Source Database (CSDB), Data Module Content Management Systems, structured documentation and xml editing.
- Good English oral and written communication skills and the ability to influence people in widely differing parts of a complex organisation;
- A flexible team player who is adaptable to change;
- Planning and organisation skills with a high attention to detail; able to work autonomously and solve problems.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Membership (or eligibility for, membership) of, recognised national or international institutes;
- Experience of Jira ticketing environment;
- Experience using authoring tools such as: Adobe FrameMaker, Adobe Robohelp, Microsoft Word, Word Press, Acrobat (for PDF creation);
- Experience in illustration software such as: Adobe Illustrator, Visio, SmartDraw, PaintShop Pro, PhotoShop;
- Experience of using configuration management software and or Logistic Support Analysis Systems;
- Experience of using collaboration environments such as confluence.
Equal Opportunities Statement
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion are at the core the SKA's agenda and we are committed to being an equal opportunities employer. Our aim to is recruit and retain the most talented individuals, regardless of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, marital status, religion or nationality.
Women have traditionally been under-represented in the fields of science and engineering; SKA Organisation welcomes and encourages female applicants.
Where applicants with a disability need facilities or adjustments to enable them to participate in the recruitment process, these will be provided.